latest shots

www.flickr.com

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

And then they went on to make fire and invent the wheel...


When men greet each other (usually in social situations, occasionally in casual professional surroundings) I notice the high-five/handshake hybrid, followed by pulling in for the forceful hug/one hard smack on the back.

Do you know what I'm talking about?

Where did this behavior originate? Do you need a Y-chromosome to understand this? Each time I witness it, it freaks me out a little bit, and seems uncomfortable.

With a measure of brute force, it seems to say "nice to see you, I'm straight, see how strong I am?"

3 comments:

Ethan said...

Techincally speaking, this would be the full form of the Medieval custom of checking for arms, from which the handshake is derived. The hug inspects for a long blade, where the handshake checks for a short one.

I doubt, however that this latest incarnation is a return to old customs. My best guess is that it was adopted from Tommy Boy. You know... "brothers don't shake hands, brothers gotta hug."

But before you are too critical of the hug-shake, you should consider that the alternative is most likely a Top Gun high five, which of course says the same thing as wearing your shirt collar up.

Two movie references in one comment. I think my work here is done.

Marysia said...

LOVE IT. Comment was informative AND entertaining.

Sarah's Parties said...

This is why I married him!