latest shots

www.flickr.com

Thursday, August 02, 2007

bringing [my] sexy back [back]

If you've seen me in the last week, you might have not recognized me, what with me being all hunched over like a severe case of Quasimodo has set in. I seem to have developed a herniated disc in my lower back, and other than the shooting-down-the-legs pains, the hardest part has been the constant excuse for the way I walk, which is more of a hunched-over waddle.

It makes me feel like a big wuss.

I am a wuss who sneezed and herniated a disc in my back.

Do you know anyone under the age of 85 who that would happen to?

I have seen a chiropractor for the last week, and it is getting better for sure. Today I am seeing an orthopedic surgeon to get a second opinion, more because I've been made to be skeptical of any medical professional not carrying the letters "M.D." after their names. As some one I am soon to marry in 99 days (!!!) has said, "chiropractors are quacks." I'll be honest, I've met quite a few M.D. quacks myself. I think like most things, it comes down to the individual person and their ethics. So far, the chiropractor seems to be helping, so I am not complaining. I will avoid surgery if possible, and am willing to do the 3 months of therapy to give it a shot, sans medication. I would like to avoid painkillers so I can actually judge my progress by what I feel.

I'm not going to lie, painkillers would have been very welcome at points earlier this week.

I also can not run for the next 3 months minimum which is funny, because I don't like running generally, but I do it because it's a good workout. And now when I'm told I can't, of course that's all I want to do. But right now I will have to settle for swimming in the pool, not using my legs. I'm such a wuss.

No comments: