latest shots

www.flickr.com

Thursday, July 17, 2008

I guess it would be nice, if I could touch your body

I have been 28 for one week, and so far, it's looking not too shabby.

Last Wednesday night, I went out to eat with my in-laws to The Grove restaurant in the new Discovery Green park downtown. It boasts that it is a "green" restaurant, although I'm not quite sure what that means. Is it just me or does this Being Green thing seem almost trendy? I am not knocking the concept, in fact, I think it's great. It appeals to the closet hippie in me, and I'm happy it's becoming popular to consider the environment in our choices. The food was pretty good, fancy and well-portioned, and the people watching was excellent. Business cocktail hours leading to dinners with clients begin the evening, and slowly the see-and-be-seen filter in as the sun dips down. It's nice to see Downtown growing in a positive way.

My first day of being 28, last Thursday, I went to a happy hour for school that lasted until well after dark. It was really nice to meet people, chat and get the scoop from the second years. I think I have this inclination that people will be pretentious, but so far I am relieved to see I couldn't be more wrong. I suppose there is the competitive streak, but so far it seems like it's all in good spirit. Those MBA kids like their drinks! The party hard, play hard mentality is obvious. Must. Adjust. To. This. Hi. I'm. Old.

Friday Gem and Leia came in to town and we went to Reef for dinner (yum!) and then played with the Wii Gem brought with her. Good times, always amusing to watch from the outside.

Later that evening, Kasia surprised me by bringing her friend Lindsey for the weekend, whom I haven't seen in ages, probably about 10 years or so. We grew up together and were very close in junior high/high school, she was like another little sister, so it was heart-warming to hang out with her again.

Saturday morning was beach day, and the weather couldn't have been better. I am addicted to the beach, I could live there and never leave and be completely content. Galveston isn't beautiful, but it has sand and salt water, and down west beach, surprisingly little rotting seaweed. But because it's Texas, the water is still soup in the July. About 17 of us came down and spread out under the two tents my sister brought (thanks South By!) which were life savers in the heat. This is another way I can tell we've all matured: we no longer want to bake our selves brown [or red] in the sun. Now everyone is slathering on the SPF 50, sitting in the shade and wearing large floppy hats to avoid the sun damage.

On Monday night, I went to the George Michael concert with my friend Liz, which was entertaining as all get out. George Michael completely reminds me of my cousin Asia, who is 10 years older than me, and was loving him when I was an impressionable pre-teen. How could we have not have known he was gay back then? This boggles my mind. The village people police officer uniform (which he dawned on Monday evening- yikes!) wasn't obvious enough? It was once again, great people watching, mostly people in their thirties... The killer was when the insane lady sitting behind us yelled "I WANT TO TOUCH YOU GEORGE MICHAELS!" (yes, with an "S") over and over again while her husband just kind of shook his head in embarrassment. Sweet.

No comments: