latest shots

www.flickr.com

Friday, March 12, 2010

Accelerate (and Rewind)

I am not going to use this post to complain about the lack of sleep our family has experienced lately, or about the stupid epidemic viruses that keep infiltrating our home.

NOPE. NOT ME. NOT HERE.

I will talk about California. I owe this place that much in the least. The Velocity conference is a small entrepreneurship conference, aimed at educating and networking those who have started or want to start their own business. JEEZUZ. NETWORKING. That is the numero uno over-used word in B-School. However, for once, I didn't roll my eyes continuously about the pettiness of it all, and I met a bunch of cool people and heard all kinds of inspiring stories. Imagine that. The gentleman who founded Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream came and spoke to us, and was hilarious to boot. What struck me most is the luck of most these ventures. I know, luck is not chance, it is when preparedness meets opportunity (Hi Dr. Napier!). However, there seemed to be a certain degree of fate/destiny/blind coincidence in every encounter. Keep your eyes peeled.

Also, I got closer to some classmates who I hadn't spent as much time with in my time here. I can't possibly be happier about that. We went to see Tribe Called Quest at a club, and it was like a little taste of what my life was like several years ago. "Working" all day, socializing at happy hour, then going out at night. The only difference is, you can't really leave the life you have, and I can't tell you how much I missed my family. Even when I curled into my oh-so-comfy hotel bed (not even being sarcastic, it was heavenly) at the end of the night, I had to play videos of the little one from that day that Andrew's had sent me. I wouldn't trade it for all the concerts and happy hours in the world.

However, I could use a nice 8-hour stint of uninterrupted sleep.

There is magic in San Francisco, and I was happy to spend time there again. I even mastered the BART this time, and was navigating the Bay Area like a pro by the end of our week. I hope I get to go back sometime again in the next few years, and I am thankful that I got the opportunity to go on this kind of trip (thank you school!).

Next up: Operation Find-A-Job.

For real this time.

No comments: