latest shots

www.flickr.com

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Well the weather outside is... Mild

It's the end of a year, and where do I begin? The holidays? A yearly recap? Not so much.

I feel strangely in denial of the fact that the whole year has passed by, and it felt to me like one long race. That is the only way I can explain it. A long race, and if tomorrow is the finish line, then it's strangely anti-climactic. That doesn't really feel fair or like the proper send-off.

In "celebration" of the holidays, Andrew and I took the week between Christmas and New Year's off from work. A whole week with no destination. Staycation. I've never done this before, and I have mixed feelings about taking extended time off with no place to go. Per usual, the moment I have time to unwind, my body takes notice and proceeds to come down with some kind of ICK, this version being some kind of sinus suicide. This is also the first time in a long time we've been home with Lilly for extended time with no school time for her. Let's just say it's an adjustment for all of us, but we've found a groove. It's nice to sit on the couch and laugh. And dance in the kitchen. And explore the neighborhood. Just to take time. I have trouble with that concept, and every day I fight the urge to clean up, organize and attack the eternal mountain of laundry that threatens my sanity (Hi Ned!). I fight the urge to be a busy-body of epic proportions. I want to look back at these times and remember the little moments, not the race.

As many locally-grown marriages experience, our holidays are times of travel. The kind of travel that doesn't involve getting to second base with airport security (ha. ha. ha.) or drinks with little umbrellas in them (but maybe we should adapt that idea...). We drive all over the city the week of Christmas, to visit the different families. Everyone involved makes compromises and tries to be flexible. It can be exhausting, but name a holiday season that ISN'T exhausting? We are very lucky to have this much family around us, and Lilly is doubly lucky to have both sets of grandparents within a half-hour's drive. I never had that, and I really would have loved to be able to have that kind of family-access as a child. Kasia spent the holidays with our family in Poland for the first time this year, and I have to admit I was a little jealous. I miss my family and my sister dearly. I haven't been to Poland since 2007, and this is my longest time away thus far. There are so many place Andrew and I talk about going, taking the much needed away-vacation, but I know Poland will have to be on the docket some time soon. The mother-land calls!

As the only grand-child on either side, Lilly is insanely spoiled for holidays. The shear volume of gifts is mind-boggling to me, and results required mental preparation for how we would need to attack Operation Fit-All-This in her room. Mind you, she is the tenant of the largest room in our house, and yet you wouldn't know it. There is going to be a definite need for purging once we move into our permanent place. Side Note: Andrew would like to have a closet. Because he doesn't enjoy living off a rack (isn't he picky? It's fun! Like vacation!). Let's hope that is sooner rather than later. Come on Summer 2011!

Another benefit of future proposed dwelling? Larger dining space. And general space. We can have people over! I know this is silly, but I whole-heartily miss entertaining and having groups of people over for every reason or no reason at all. I am looking forward to 2011 giving us plenty of (small and THANK YOU GOD) reasons to celebrate. Fingers crossed.

So it's been real, it's been fun, but see you one the flip side of the sun!

No comments: