latest shots

www.flickr.com

Friday, May 11, 2007

Name This Dessert

Those who know me, know that since I have known Andrew, I have become quite lazy in the kitchen. This is mostly due to the fact that Andrew enjoys cooking, and has taken over the kitchen, Nazi-invasion-style. I am not one to argue with this, mostly because cooking on a daily basis doesn't appeal to me a whole lot. I like to entertain for guests with food; that kind of cooking I like. But the kind where you have to plan 3 meals a day, every day, with some sort of nutritional balance is not exciting to me. I'm a horrible excuse for a woman.

Last night we had a couple friends over for dinner, and as usual, Andrew got to preparing the appropriate menu, 4 days ahead. That one, he's a planner. Don't you dare veer from the plan. Andrew prepared beef fillets in a balsamic reduction with parmesan risotto. I made the salad! That's what I have become good at as of late; the task of chopping and washing vegetables. The salad was a bleu cheese & pear salad, with a pear vinaigrette. See! I CAN BE FANCY TOO.

I think by the time I realized I needed to prepare dessert, I had exhausted all my energies on the laborious task of salad-making, so we can safely say that it wasn't quite as "made from scratch" as the rest of the meal. Berries are so yummy right now and in season so I put it together, and this is what it ended up looking like:


I have a theory that adding a mint leaf to any dessert makes it look fancy. This could be completely in my head. I used vanilla pudding, blackberries and raspberries, white chocolate chips, cubed-up pound cake (yeah Sarah Lee!), whipped cream, and a blackberry rum sauce to make a berry trifle of sorts. It was tasty, and I would make it again given how easy it was, so I need a clever name for this creation. Any ideas?

2 comments:

blue blue blue said...

triple trouble trifle!

SleeplessInSeattle said...

I was lucky enough to get to try the dessert last night and it was yummy too!!